Thursday, January 8, 2009

X-ism

Show of hands, who's tired of being told over and over again that racism and sexism is bad? I think Mr. Vonnegut says it best in Slaughterhouse Five, "I know, I know, I know..." I could understand if we were taught this once and then brought it up when someone says or does something stupid. But to send it at us over and over again is just lunacy. It's gotten to the point where me and my friends are as racist as possible when we hang out together just to make fun of it all. I'm certain it's a larger issue in major cities and anywhere that isn't our safe little white suburbia, but for God's sake, "I know, I know, I know!"

What it comes down to is, I just don't care anymore, I never cared. I never thought race or gender made any difference in the first place, I couldn't see how anyone thought it did. I'm not going to digress into the arguments made by sociologists that it should be taken into account because of the disadvantages X race or gender faced in the past. I couldn't care less for what they consider fair or just. Exceptions don't prove rules and many people have risen beyond what sociologists said they should have by doing their best for themselves.

As for the issue we're talking about with our journals, how the media defines women and changes their minds. Congratulations, you're right, well done... But don't spout it as though it's some profound statement that you found out on your own. We've known that the media's been doing this for years, ever since radios were created we've had advertising and ever since we've had advertising we've known they don't show the majority or the normal. It gets just as tiring as the advertisements themselves, listening to people talk about issues like these.

"But what I'm saying may help the girls change this time!"
That's what you want to say right? And sure, why not, maybe this time it'll be the thing they need to hear. Maybe this will be the trigger point making you change your consciousness. But changing your mind isn't something you do overnight, you don't get it from a goddamn seminar, and you certainly don't get it from reading a magazine article. It takes a conscious effort from the person to change their own mind, agreeing with an article doesn't do that. You have to think and consciously make the choice to not buy those designer jeans because that's what a model did.

Sure, it's the truth, and sure maybe people really do need that magazine article telling them to be themselves. But honestly, if something as inconsequential as a magazine article can change their mind one way what's to stop a different one from doing the same thing, changing them right back? If someone's mind is so willing to accept such a source without question then I'm not sure they're worth the message, truth or not.

3 comments:

Becca K. said...

I agree that we do hear that racism and sexism is bad a lot, but I think we need to hear it. A long time ago, we didn't know those things were bad--they just were things that happened. Besides, our discussions in College Literature right now aren't about whether sexism and racism iare bad (which I'm sure we all agree are) but about how that is portrayed in literature, especially in Caucasia.

We've been talking about our identities, and our identities include what race we are and what gender we are. In the case of Caucasia, Birdie's identity includes the fact that she is mixed. That's who she is. She'd be a completely different person if she was white.

About the whole advertising thing, yes we have been saying that over and over again, but nothing's changed. Just because nothing changed the first time women raised the issue of sexism in advertising doesn't mean that we should give up. It's a real issue, and it needs to be addressed. If we have to keep saying it, then so be it. So yes, we know, we know, we know, but obviously we don't understand.

Anthony Mystery said...

it is obvious to me that racism and sexism cant end easily. the attacks on it arent working, trying to explain what is bad. the other option is to just drop them alltogether. the less it comes up the less people think about it. i know it doesnt seem like a sound plan, but how do people forget about things they always hear?

Unknown said...

The government comes in and cleans "between the ears" Anthony Mystery, that's what happens. You of all people should know.