Thursday, January 15, 2009

Let's have a chat about destruction

I recently got myself a game off of eBay.  The entire point of this game is to crash cars, there's an entire part where you just smash your car into an intersection and watch everything explode.  I've gotta ask, why do I find this so appealing?  There's apparantly something about destruction that's just very appealing.  I think I know what it is and so does everyone who enjoys destruction, at least they do subconsciously.

To build anything takes creativity, and courage.  And to build cars that go upwards of 200 mph that look like the coolest thing since sliced bread takes more than the average amount of both.  It gives a great since of power to know that you can destroy something that took so much to make in a matter of seconds.  It makes you feel as though you've equaled their power, when you of course haven't.  You may have found the one spot that destroys the whole machine, but what does that prove?  Even if you keep destroying someone's achievements you still haven't equaled the person.  Creativity and courage are not measured by what you have made (though I'll admit it's not a bad thing to measure by), especially if the things you make are being destroyed.

Anyway, I've got to go crash some more nice cars, I'll be back later to finish off my last blog.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think the power of destruction does not set an equality of the power of creation in our minds. I think that it creates its own special sense of power, to know that you ended something's existence. Of course the computer is not in a better place, rather it's in the same place but with a huge hole in it. But in our minds, it ceases to exist, and in a way the machine will never exist in the same way it did.

When you end a man's life, you don't just end him Daniel. You end everything that he could have been. You end all the relationships he could have made, you end everyone he changed by just knowing him.

When you destroy something you see yourself as the butterfly, except you also know there's a tornado.