Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Destruction of People due to Apathy

There's an answer to a question I've held ever since I've entered high school. And the answer is more terrifying than one I've ever found. I got the idea to write this after talking about blogs on the first day and Justin told me that "Whenever someone says something and I don't know what they're talking about, I'm just like 'Yea totally, I think you're right because you sound sure of yourself.'" I couldn't understand that statement and then I realized that's how we've gotten where we are now.



The question was, how did we end up this way? Originally I wanted to blame the system, this was the easy way out of course, but it also isn't necessarily a wrong answer. There's multitudes of papers on the subject that do a very good job of convincing people that they're not at fault. They say that they're all victims of the society, or system, they're living in. This may be the right answer, but I don't buy into that and I don't believe any of you do either.

I've had arguments on the subject with my father too many times, he believes the system runs everything, that social factors are the only thing that matter. He has a favorite phrase to utter every time I bring up someone like Barack Obama, a man who, under this system, shouldn't have even had a chance to run for president. That phrase is "Well it's the exception that proves the rule." What? Exceptions don't prove rules, they break them. Scientists don't take a theory with one exception and accept it as truth simply because "The exception proves the rule."

So no, I don't buy the idea that society is to blame. I don't believe capitalism allows those with bad intentions to get greater profits. I believe the world will get exactly what it deserves. If people insist on being apathetic then they can't complain when the world comes crashing down around them. They deserve to suffer the consequences of their apathy.

Justin agreed with my blog simply because he didn't want to look further into it. While Kelsey came in and found the one point that I slipped up on. I was impressed, I didn't catch it.


Apathy and a refusal to see what's going on around you is why we are in the state we are. If everyone continues to not think about things, really think, you're going to lose. I don't mean go out and research other's opinions, that's not thinking. If you just go to the opinion section of a paper you're getting someone elses thoughts. If you want to think you have to do it yourself, no one can think for you, no one can tell you the truth. If you don't think about your opinions you're taking them on faith and maybe that's enough for some people, but for those I say "Good Luck!" If you truly think your faith can save you then I can't reason with you, and you shouldn't be reading this because you disagreed with me in the first blog I wrote.


If you're still looking for me to bluntly point out the answer to the question, no I did not answer it in the last paragraph. Apathy and blindness are a product, a product of your human mind. Apathy is a conscious decision by you to not look deeper and critically think about something. The reason we're in the state we are is people, people like you and me, who are to apathetic to take a look at what's really destroying the world. People are the most important thing to the world right now, we hold the power to save or destroy it. And it's not a majority decision, the choice is in all of us.

18 comments:

Justin G said...

Alright, what I was saying was that your blogs look so crazy long that they look too intimidating to read and that I didn't want to read them. After I read this I was really impressed with what you had to say on how apathy was ruining people.

Michael Flaherty said...

uhh, you never said why apathy is destroying people, you just said it's why we are in the state that we are in, although I guess could sound bad with the right inflection.

by the way, victims not victems

(that spellcheck was broght to you by Sam Siegmann)

Michael Flaherty said...

your next entry should be about something nice like flowers

Daniel DeBoer said...

Justin misread my post, I said apathy is responsible for the state we're in, not the destruction of people. Although if you look into, apathy destroys people as well. But that conversation would be longer, more involved, and how... unnecessary.

Unknown said...

Why should the multitude care? We live in a world when information that people died for having centuries ago can be found with a couple keystrokes and a click of a button. When mankind is on the summit of knowledge, can't we trust smarter and abler people to do something about the world's problems?

Daniel DeBoer said...

Alright Sam I'll bite.

What happens when the brains of the world get sick of you riding on their coattails, and decide to stop producing solutions for you?

Jimmy said...

y so srs batman?

Unknown said...

Because Daniel, that's what coattails are for.

Listen, humans have always had intellectual giants pulling mankind out of the metaphorical mud. Namely Socrates,Caeser Senior, Archimedes, Einstein, and whonot. The world depended on these people, and most of the time even used them, to clean up their own stinking messes. That's how the way the world works, worked and that's what got us to the epitome of control over nature.


By the way, it's spelt with three m's.

Michael Flaherty said...

Although if you think about it, if someone rides your coattails, more than likely your coat will fall off and you will need to get it dry cleaned.

Daniel DeBoer said...

Sam, you know better than that.

Daniel DeBoer said...

And when the coat is gone, those riding it will be left in a heap behind the intellectual giant that shrugged it off.

Unknown said...

Oh Daniel, of course I know better. But knowing better isn't as fun as playing stupid.

Daniel DeBoer said...

Yea but you're giving the others ideas, and that's more dangerous.

Unknown said...

Ideas that pretty much anybody can shove down the throats of anybody stupid enough to believe them. Though I'm gonna bite.

What's the big thing about ideas anyway? They can be made or flattened with just a whimisical thought.

Daniel DeBoer said...

You're not even biting, just giving everyone else a show. Though I suppose that's what this whole thing has been (I wanted to use a different word but couldn't come up with something better than 'thing', help me out on this one).

We've been kidding each other this whole time, but it doesn't work because we're too smart.


As for this "big thing" with ideas, I suppose it's more desirable to give them ideas than to leave them apathetic. But to give them such dangerous ideas isn't very nice to the world.

Especially since most people will take a charismatic person and follow their ideal simply because they "feel" he's right. They're committing a worse crime. Better to be completely apathetic, than to follow an ideal with an apathy towards the thought behind it.

Daniel DeBoer said...

I'll admit though, giving everyone else a show is much more entertaining than actually writing my college literature paper. I'll have to thank you for that.

Unknown said...

;)

Abby said...

Ummm, epic grammar fail.

The reason we're in the state we are is people, people like you and me, who are to apathetic to take a look at what's really destroying the world.

That should say TOO apathetic to take a look. Just saying.

-fordera